Positive Education has been defined as the development of educational environments that enable the learner to engage in established curricula, in addition to knowledge and skills to develop their own and others’ well-being.
Across the globe educators, parents and citizens are asking how we can best prepare our youth for successful adulthood in the twenty-first century. Whilst this has been an age-old question, given the alarming increases in mental illness, youth suicide and societal breakdown, the need has become even greater for learning experiences that allow youth to flourish, lead purposeful lives and contribute to society as virtuous citizens. Schools are now seen as institutions whose role extends beyond academic competence in preparing the whole child (Huitt, 2010).
Positive Education (or applied Positive Psychology in education) can inform and affect all levels of education including students, teachers, staff, parents, the whole school, and the community. It can also play a crucial preventative role in reducing depression, anxiety and stress within the school environment.
Our team of psychologists and experts in educational and organisational theory, research and practice can assist your school with:
- Design and delivery of a small, medium or large whole-school Positive Education program
- Consultancy on implementing/embedding Positive Education
- Teacher Training in Positive Education
- Staff professional development (PD Day workshops/presentations. E.g. our popular 'Introduction to Positive Education' workshop)
- Mental Fitness programs and workshops for staff and students
- Reliable and valid measurement
- Executive Coaching and Positive Leadership Development for Principals, Senior Leadership Team and Teachers
- Board, Council and/or Leadership Executive Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Appreciative Inquiry methodology for change and development
- Teacher as Coach Workshops, Training and Supervision
- Student as Coach Workshops, Training and Supervision
- Individual Student Coaching for Academic and Personal Development
- Presentations to students on core constructs of Positive Psychology, e.g. Accomplishment, Resilience, Happiness, Meaning/Purpose, Mindfulness (focused attention), Positive Relationships, etc.
- Parent workshops
Email email@example.com or phone (02) 9264 3474 for more information about our Positive Education services.
The Positive Psychology Institute is proud to continue it's work, in conjunction with the University of Wollongong, at Knox Grammar School in Sydney. The world-first scientifically evaluated, Positive Education Program is now in it's 5th year.
John Weeks Knox Grammar Headmaster talks about the 'Total Fitness' program and keeping students mental health in mind.
The Positive Psychology Institute is proud to work with Newington College in the creation and implementation of Positive Psychology and Mental Fitness Programs. The introduction of Positive Psychology Programs, Building Mental Fitness in the Classroom in Year 9 developing skills through to year 12 assisting students to lead more meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Find out more about Building Mental Fitness in the Classroom.